Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Harry McClintock


The people we don't see are the ones who have the biggest influence on what makes it to our television screens. Someone you never saw had a big impact on me, personally and professionally.

I worked with a man named Harry McClintock at the old channel 22. He left the station in 1996, a few weeks before I did. Harry was the program director. I'm not sure what program directors actually do. Harry had additional responsibilites that made him unforgettable.

During my time, Harry McClintock produced the Scranton St. Patrick's Day Parade. I had the pleasure and honor of working five of those parades under Harry. Every year, he put together a meticulous rundown of every unit that marched, every float, every group, every politician, every band-- a huge binder filled with information. There was no such thing as going in to a project unprepared when Harry was around.

He also produced the station's live coverage of what we called "The Great Implosion." A cluster of buildings on Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton was blown up on April 5th of 1992 to make way for the Mall at Steamtown. It was one of the most rewarding days I've spent in the business.

A man can be judged by more than his work. I worked with Harry's daughter, Shannon, for a while. The kid is sharp, just like her dad. That says a lot.

Harry McClintock died Saturday. He was 75. It's an over-used phrase, but it really fits here. Harry was a nice, nice man. I'm glad I knew him.