Sunday, September 21, 2008

New York, New York



Yankee Stadium closes, for good, after tonight's game with the Baltimore Orioles.

I can't figure it out, but it's not bothering me as much as I thought it would.

History and nostalgia are my things. Ask anyone in the newsroom about my continuous stream of boring stories, detailing the way radio and television used to be around here.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I am a follower. It's hard to live in this area and not be a follower. The Yankees are on the radio, on television, and there are more than a few Yankee fans in our newsroom. The Yankees are always in the news, and you can't avoid them.

I have to admit, visiting Yankee Stadium for the first time was a kick. It was April of 76. I saw the third game in the newly renovated stadium. You could feel the history, almost touch it. I spent my first moments there terrified because of all the horrible stories I heard about the south Bronx. After a little while, you realize it's not as bad as legend has it, and it's actually a pretty nice place to watch a ballgame.

Times change. Yankee Stadium has outlived its usefulness. The infrastructure is shot. Nothing is forever. It's time to move on. Sad, but true. There are new memories to be made.

By the way, an old friend is celebrating a birthday today. If you're out there, best wishes.