Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Winter's Coming


I don't need a calendar of a meteorologist to tell me winter's coming. All I have to do is look out the window. The neighborhood squirrels are going nuts, pardon the pun. There seems to be a population explosion, they're gathering food like crazy, and their brown furry tails have turned a snowy white.

All the activity concerns me. They seem busier than usual, and I hope that doesn't indicate a more severe than normal winter.

As I've written before, the skunk is the animal of spring, even more so than the robin. When the skunks come out, looking for food and looking for love, not necessarily in that order, warmer weather is on the way.

Squirrels tell us just the opposite.

Fall is a great time of year. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long enough, and it's always followed by winter.