Monday, November 24, 2008

Business III


Everyone is talking about money and the economy ad nauseum these days, and I'm no different.

As you know, I'm a big fan of the morning show on FOX Sports Radio, and I heard an interesting conversation Thursday morning. The host said he's like most people and is cutting back expenses. Part of that-- he's not renewing his subscription to Golf Digest. The host, Steve Czaban, wondered how many people would ultimately be impacted by his decision-- the writers, the editors, the office people, the printers, the mail room staff, etc. Yes, he wants to cut back, but he didn't want to hurt other people in the process.

I had an epiphany the other day. I realized I can live without the Oxygen Network, Planet Green, the Reality Channel, and Jewelry TV, so I dumped my digital cable. I have absolutely no sympathy for Big Cable Company. None. It has priced itself out of the market. However, if enough people do cancel (and I'm seeing a lot of satellite dish installation trucks making rounds in the neighborhood), it will have an impact on the installers, the customer service people, the tech staff, and on and on.

Even though the price of gasoline has come down, I'm still driving less. Screw OPEC, big oil, and even the big mini mart chain. I do feel sorry for the person behind the cash register.

I want to save a little money. I don't want to put people out of work. Unfortunately, you can't do one without the other. Sorry.