Thursday, February 26, 2009

Air Crane


Before we start, a reminder that all photos are "clickable."

It was an interesting Wednesday morning, the first day of a vacation.

The whole thing started with a Tuesday afternoon e-mail from WNEP's chief engineer. He informed the newsroom that an air crane would be in the sky over Bald Mountain in Scranton and Ransom Twp. Wednesday morning. It was in town to help remove an analog antenna from one of the towers up there.

I love aviation and helicopters. The hardware of broadcasting fascinates me, even though I know nothing about it. I just had to see how close I could get.

I got lucky. There was a good view of the helicopter on the ground, in a field, near North Sekol Road in Scranton.

The above shot was taken as the helicopter was on its way to the field that you saw in the first photo.



And, this one was taken as the helicopter was doing a fly over of the antenna site. There were a few things I had to do yesterday morning, so I couldn't stick around for the actual antenna removal.

No complaints. I was surprised I got this close and saw this much.