Thursday, April 16, 2009

Unfinished Business


Today, an update on a few topics I brought up on earlier blogs...

I finished Bob Barker's book the other day. If you're looking for a nice, light read, this is is it. It's about more than "The Price is Right." You won't be sorry.

By the way, Bob Barker will be a special guest on today's "The Price is Right." It's easy to find. It comes on right before the noon infomercial.

A TV station in Boston threatened to replace Jay Leno's 10 PM show with a new newscast this fall. NBC wanted to pull the plug on the station's affiliation. The Boston station backed off. Leno at 10 PM in September.

I've received a few e-mails from friends, attempting to sell me on the joys of Twitter and FaceBook. Sorry. It's not working. I'm sure the applications are fine and dandy for some people.

As I write this, WARM 590 has been off the air for more than two weeks. Expensive to repair transmitter problems, a reliable source tells me. A couple radio industry internet message boards report rumors WARM is off the air for good. I hope that's not true. WARM is a legendary station, and it's where I got my start. The station isn't what it used to be. Far, far from it. But, it deserves better than the neglect it's suffered for the past 15 or so years.

Yes, I still like writing sentence fragments.

I liked most of the Harry Kalas tributes I've read and seen. Kalas died Monday in the broadcast booth of the Washington Nationals' stadium. However, I dislike references to "Harry died doing what he loved, in the booth." You know, there is something about collapsing alone, in a cold stadium, that doesn't sound so romantic to me.

It seems like I'm getting an e-mail every day from someone who disconnected their land line telephone. I'm close to jumping on the bandwagon.