Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Arson

I've covered a lot of crime over the years, and I don't think I'll ever understand why people set fires.

Two people were arrested in Columbia County yesterday-- people who should know better, people who've seen the horrible things fires can do. Yes, they are innocent until proven guilty, but police say they've confessed.

An elderly couple was badly hurt in one of the fires. Their granddaughter told me family members aren't sure if they will live or die.

The suspects are connected to a volunteer fire department. The vast, vast majority of volunteer firefighters are good and decent people who risk their lives, on a daily basis, for free.

Today's blog really has no point. It's just another sad crime case-- one that can't be explained, and one that shouldn't have happened.

I hope the elderly couple recovers. Even if they make it out of the hospital, their lives are forever changed, their home ruined.

If the suspects have a good explanation, I'd love to hear it.