Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bing


Microsoft's new search engine is up and running. It's called "Bing." Microsoft's answer to Google is okay, and no real reason to switch. However, I will use it from time to time. I tested it against Google, and a few things popped up on Bing that Google didn't display.

When I think of "Bing," I don't think of Microsoft, or Crosby, or cherries. I think of Terry McNulty.

For those of you who are too young, are from outside the area, or don't remember Terry's radio days, he was a good story teller, and he often spoke of his brother, Bing. I believed Bing was just part of Terry's act. I didn't think he really existed. Then, the phone rang in the WARM newsroom one afternoon. It was Bing, looking for his brother. I nearly dropped the phone. There really is a Bing. He sounded just like Terry.

I met Bing once, briefly, at Terry's memorial service. It was nearly three years ago.

I won't be able to Bing on my computer without thinking of Terry, and that's not a bad thing.