Friday, July 3, 2009

Already?


I've been considering getting a laptop, so I dropped by Staples yesterday morning. The store was stocked to the rafters with back to school items.

I know I mention this every year, but it seems "back to school" time has arrived earlier than usual. My theory is all stores, not just Staples, are looking for a big boost from the back to school crowd. It's been a lackluster year. Strong back to school sales can keep companies afloat until Christmas arrives.

I've already seen some stores dumping summer merchandise, including lighter clothing, even though there's still a lot of summer left. It's likely the same reason-- make a buck as quickly as you can. Times are tough.

While Staples had some sweet machines, I didn't pull the trigger. There is still a lot of laptop shopping left to do, and I'm still not sure I'm going to buy one.

Tomorrow is Independence Day. It's an important day, but never one of my holiday favorites. It's a little too hot and noisy for my tastes. Heat will likely not be a factor this year. The 4th falls on a weekend, so I'll be working during the noisiest part.

No matter how you'll be celebrating, make the day, and the weekend, a good one.

And, one more note for the day... It comes from the "you know you're getting old when..." file. Jan Smithers turns 60 today. She played Bailey Quarters on "WKRP in Cincinnati."

A lot of people went nuts over Loni Anderson. For my money, Jan Smithers was the most attractive, and most under-rated, member of the cast.