Thursday, July 23, 2009

Digital Fingerprints

ESPN's Erin Andrews is a strikingly beautiful woman. Some rat took naked video of her, without her consent, in a hotel room. No, I haven't seen the video.

I hope the scoundrel who violated Andrews' privacy is caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That launches us into today's discussion-- the internet and privacy. I know a lot of people who are giving their privacy away.

Let me take you back to a conversation I had with a co-worker (now a former co-worker) a few years ago. It was not long after this blog got up and running. This person remarked how a blog was a bad idea because this person didn't want people knowing about private matters. I apologize for the awkward phrasing here. I'm going to great lengths to avoid revealing the sex of this individual.

Let's fast forward a couple years. This person started a My Space site, complete with personal information AND EXTREMELY PERSONAL (not obscene) PHOTOS. I would assume a FaceBook site followed, but I didn't care to search.

This person is not alone. A lot of people in "the biz" have My Space and FaceBook sites. Many are harmless, but some are just an invitation to trouble.

The person who shot the Andrews video apparently went to a lot of effort. Many others make it easy for people to access your life and learn more than you would like them to know.

Today's blog has been centered on broadcasters, but we're not alone.

It's not just cyber stalkers. You know prospective employers will "Google" you when you apply for a job. I've seen some stuff that would instantly eliminate candidates for consideration.

Please, be careful.