Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The "Come to Jesus" Meeting


I told the ultra abridged story on Newswatch 16 yesterday morning. Here's what I didn't have time to say.

To back up a moment, there's a Jesus picture in the background of a photo Joe Snedeker often uses on the air. The photo is that of Brandy, a woman who points at weather map features. Joe, Mindi, and I got into a discussion of Jesus pictures many people have in their homes. I have one, and there is a tale as to how I acquired it.

An aunt used to take me to estate auctions when I was a kid. There's one I will never forget. It was on a Saturday morning at a home on Constitution Avenue in Jessup, and it was at least 35 years ago, likely a few more. A man lost his wife. He was selling the house and most of the stuff in it. While auctions and prowling around someone's home prior to auctions can be fun, the sadness of the occasion was not lost on me.

Interested parties sat on folding chairs in the backyard for the bidding. My aunt bought some garden tools and a box of books. During the bidding, the auctioneer motioned for me to come up to the podium. He took a nicely framed Jesus picture and handed it to me. I thanked him through my surprise, and returned to my seat.

I later learned that many auctioneers don't and won't sell religious items. If memory serves, I was the youngest one there. That's why the auctioneer picked me out of the bunch, and handed me the photo, without bidding. Free.

Yes, I still have that Jesus picture.