Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Communication

Did you ever get the feeling you know someone, even though you've never met? We have two cases in point today.

The first is Paula Beck. She has a blog in the Allentown Morning Call. It's called "Blogging Through a Layoff." Beck is detailing her job loss, unemployment, and search for new work. I don't know how she does it, but there are more upbeat postings than depressing ones. I'm not sure I could do that. Yes, I know there are millions of Paula Beck's out there. Still, my heart goes out to her and her daughter. Been there. Not fun. I can't wait for the day to punch up the blog to learn she has a new job. Paula, good luck.

Then, there's Nick Charles. He's a boxing commentator for the Showtime cable television channel, and a good one. Before that, he was a CNN Sports anchor. I liked the way CNN did sports. It was all the news and highlights, without the ESPN style schtick and attitude. CNN got out of the sports biz several years ago, and that's unfortunate. I do realize it's tough and expensive to compete with the Worldwide Leader.

Charles recently went public with his fight against bladder cancer. I came across his e-mail address in a newspaper, and I dropped him a line. He didn't have to respond, but he did. I'm sure Nick Charles has better and more important things to do with his time than correspond with a dweeb in Scranton. It was a nice thing to do, and I wish him the best. I think I got more out of the experience than Charles did.

Both Nick Charles and Paula Beck are handling their situations better than I think I could, and that frightens me like you wouldn't believe.