Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday Scrapple


Vince Sweeney has a blog. There's a "random thoughts" type entry from time to time. He's named it "The Litter Box." Great name. I wish I'd thought of it.

Thanks to noted bloggers Mark Cour and Kevin Jordan for providing links to this blog. Anything that brings in new readers is greatly appreciated, and I'm pleased to be associated with them. By the way, there's a very good list of local blogs, which I've mentioned before, at NEPA Blogs.

Paula Abdul has separated from FOX and "American Idol." There's a bidding war for her services. The only question I have is "Why?"

10,000 people attended the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees game the other night. It was nice to see a sell out.

Note to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers: You need faster post-game updates to your web site. The Pioneers play weekends. I work weekends, so I've only attended one game during the team's history, and I had a great time. Good luck in the remainder of the playoffs.

The John Madden tribute that ran this past Sunday night on NBC was very well done. It's available on You Tube.

Several weeks ago, I sang the praises of sports talk radio host Tony Bruno. FOX Sports Radio has picked up his show, "Into the Night." You can hear it weeknights at 10:00 PM. Thanks to the affiliation with FSR, you no longer need XM or the internet to hear it.

I'm considering buying an internet radio. If you have experience with them, drop me a line.

Congratulations to WNEP's Norm Jones. He was blessed with a new broadcast and a new baby in the same week. The new baby is here now. The new broadcast starts at 4:00 PM the day after Labor Day.

Sears is getting back in the toy business. Toy departments will begin appearing in a small number of stores. I don't buy toys, but I'm happy to see that. It reminds me of my youth. Sears used to have a really good toy department.

I'm ready for fall. The weather (usually) improves and a little vacation time will kick in.

USA Today recently ran a story on how Americans have become hooked on tracking their FedEX and UPS packages via internet. Guilty as charged.

Richard Nixon resigned 35 years ago this past Sunday. I remember being very happy when the news broke that Nixon would be resigning. He was a reviled character at the time. I also remember watching his farewell speech the next morning, and actually feeling sorry for him. As I've said before, the early 70's were a great time to be a kid. There were the Apollo missions, plus Nixon's groundbreaking trips to China and Russia-- places that we hadn't seem before. You wonder what Nixon could have accomplished if he didn't dirty his hands with Watergate.