Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Labor Day used to me one of my least favorite holidays. Growing older changed that.

When you're a kid, Labor Day means back to school, cooler weather, less daylight...

As an adult, I look forward to a cool breeze, the daytime quiet caused kids back in school, getting my camel hair sports coat out of the closet, and the vacation time I saved up for the tail end of the year. When you work at night and sleep during the day, you actually like having the sun disappear a bit early.

There are exceptions to the rule. There were years I eagerly anticipated the start of the new fall TV season. Other than Newswatch 16 at 4, nothing really catches my interest this year. It's been that way for quite a while. 2009 is a lot like the rest.

A few days ago, I shared a mall bench with an 80 year old woman. Jeez, I sound like such a geezer today. Anyway, we both felt that time moves faster when you acquire more candles on your birthday cake.

While fall is fun, winter is not. The cycle soon starts anew.

Enough silliness. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.