Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thanks For Listening

One of the reasons I've enjoyed this blog so much over the last four years and eleven months is it can be therapeutic.

Let me tell you about my Monday.

A photographer and I were assigned to go to Rush Twp., Susquehanna County where there was a horrible crash Sunday afternoon. Two adults and a one year old child died. One adult and two children were badly hurt.

We got there around 5:00 AM. It was dark and foggy. We found the spot where it happened. As the photographer recorded his video, I looked down on the ground. The fire department and others did a good job of clearing away the debris, but it was impossible to get everything. There were various plastic car parts, a couple cell phone chargers, pieces of tail light, and something that hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a little, purple hair band. I'm not sure what they're really called, but I do know one brand is called "scunci." I can still see it in the wet grass along the highway. It will be a while before I can get that image out of my mind. You wonder about the hair band's owner. Did she die? Did she suffer? If she survived the crash, will she recover? Four children will have to go through life without their mothers. It's not right. It's not fair.

I don't want to be a drama king. My heart goes out to the families involved in the crash. They have it a lot worse, infinitely worse, indescribably worse, than I do.

It's bothering me. I had to write about it. Thanks for being here.