Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday




I'll spare you my usual, annual anti Black Friday rant today.

Instead, a visual update on the Main Avenue, Taylor Walmart construction.

It seems like it took this one an eternity to get up and running.  Now, it appears to be moving along quickly.  The walls are just about complete.  The roof comes next.  We've been told the store could be open in the spring.

The site as a lot of retail history.  For many years, it was the site of a discount store called "Wayne." It was also called "Neway" for a while.  I'm not sure which came first.  Walmart used the building as a temporary home about 12 years ago, after the company grew tired of boulders rolling down a hill in Dickson City, and smashing into the back of the store.

View Larger Map

Dealing with Walmart is like dealing with a utility company.  You're just about forced to do business with them.  For me, the stores are close.  They're open all the time, and when you work odd hours, you find yourself walking through the doors quite a bit.

I've heard local horror stories about how Walmart treats its workers.  On the other hand, I do see a lot of Walmart employees wearing badges proclaiming they've been with the company for decades.  I honestly don't know.  I never worked there.

The company's growth has provided a lot of construction and retail jobs.  These days, any job is a good one.

Stores and roads will be crowded today.  Be patient and be careful.

While I'm not doing the rant, I will enlighten you in the form of a pet peeve.  Today is NOT the busiest shopping day of the year.  If you hear a news reporter or anchor say that, they are uninformed.   While today will be extremely busy, the biggest shopping day of the year is actually the last Saturday before Christmas.

There is one oasis in the sea of Black Friday madness-- the supermarket.  I usually make a stop Friday morning to stock up on things I need for work-- diet soda and pretzels.  The store was empty this morning.  I understand that's a 180 degree switch from Wednesday.