Saturday, February 27, 2010

Baltimore

I was always good for a couple Baltimore trips a year, and no doubt I grabbed these stickers during my many visits.

Baltimore used to be one of my favorite places, but it got too "touristy."  It's just the same stuff you can see in every other city, the same chain restaurants, the same stuff at malls.  I used to grab a hotel room in the quiet suburbs just north of the city, but there are no more quiet suburbs.  Baltimore city reaches almost all the way to York, PA.

I was in Baltimore on 9/11/01, and one of the reasons I've made only one trip back since then is too many bad memories.  9/11 found me in an area between Annapolis and the Pentagon, when everyone in the area knew we were going to war.

I will never forget that drive back to the hotel.  It should have taken 20 minutes.  It took nearly two hours.  The beltway was jammed.  I got off, knowing I had to go north and west to reach the hotel.  I had no idea where I was going.  If a route had "north" or "west" on it, I took it.

For some reason dinner that evening sticks out in my mind.  It was in the Cockeysville Wendy's.  The restaurant was packed.  Yet, it was silent.  No one was speaking.

Anyway, back to radio.

B104 has been through many formats over the years.  It was a rock station until November, WCHH, called "Channel 104.3."  Clever, huh?

Just after the election, another switch to a top 40 type format, Z104.3.

98 Rock is still 98 Rock, and that's a good thing.