Saturday, April 17, 2010

Strike!


This sticker was so long, I had to put it on my scanner diagnoally, and it still wouldn't fit.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it.  If memory serves, I got it during the 1981 Major League Baseball Strike.  WABC carried the Yankees' games back them, and the station gave out these stickers as the job action dragged on.

WABC did something I really liked.  It has a 50,000 watt, clear channel signal.  It has a wide coverage area during the day, and it can be picked up in about one-third of the country at night.  Anyway, the station was very good about sending stuff to listeners, as long as they provided a self addressed, stamped envelope.  I acquired a few "top hits of the year" music survey sheets in that manner.

The stickers were not creative masterpieces, and the call letters were rather small.  However, it was a very good idea.