Wednesday, June 23, 2010

J

There's a major debate going on in the blogosphere these days.  It was apparently touched off by a radio talk show host, who opined that bloggers are not journalists.

That's a tough one.  Every blog is a little different.

One definition of "journalist" is a person who keeps a journal.  In that respect, yes, bloggers are journalists.

The other definition is a bit tricky, and here is what dictionary.com has to say anout "journalism":  the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.

If you look at it that way, no, most bloggers are not journalists.  I will admit that there are some out there who do their own fact finding, so some bloggers are indeed journalists.  They're very good at it.


I do read a few blogs a day, and many are like this-- commentary and observations.  I occasionally do what I like to call a "value added" thing-- stuff I didn't have the time and space to tell you on television.  I do track "hits" and the "behind the scenes" blogs generate the most interest.  I can't go to that well every day.  Certain newsroom discussions should remain internal.

As I write, ad nauseum, every year, on  the November 16th anniversary of this blog, it's more of a "get to know me" thing.

There's no easy answer.  Just because someone is a blogger doesn't mean their opinion or what they've discovered should be immediately dismissed.  The media business has changed, and there's a lot more of that ahead.  Bloggers are now part of the mix, and we'd all better get used to it.