Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Juno

In the past, I've said this blog resembles the work of a 14 year old girl rather than that of a "professional" journalist.  Case in point:  "Juno."

I wanted to see the movie when it came out a few years ago, but I never found the time and energy to drag my tired rump to a theater. 

"Juno" appeared on USA Saturday, June 5th.  I watched a good part of it, but had to turn off the TV, take a shower, and go to work before it was over.  I read, on the internet, how it ends.  That wasn't good enough.  I had to see it.  A web search revealed no further TV showings.  That left a search for the DVD.

I tried two different WalMarts.  Nothing.  I found a copy, for $ 9.99 in a dusty bin at KMart.  There was a big ding in the box, and I was concerned the disc inside was damaged.  I decided to take a chance and grabbed it.  It was the only copy in the store.  I ripped into the package, while I was in my car, in the store's parking lot-- an effort to save myself a trip back to KMart for a return.  The disc looked good. so I went home.

Yes, Amazon.com was always an option.

Note to WalMart and KMart:  organize your DVD's better.  They were all over the place.  Some were in alphabetical order.  Most weren't.  I don't know how anyone finds anything.

Anyway, the movie was absolutely delightful.  You can laugh one minute and tear up the next.  The characters were smart.  The dialog was real.  The movie doesn't glorify teen pregnancy.  Ellen Page is wonderful.  I'm sorry I waited three years to see this.

After I finished viewing the DVD, I went back to the internet to read Roger Ebert's 2007 review.  As you might know, I'm a big Ebert fan. There was an interesting take on what Ebert viewed as the key scene in the movie.  I won't give it away, but I while I took special note of that particular scene, Ebert assigned more significance to it than I.  He was right.

"Juno" was nominated for the "best picture" Academy Award, and I can see why.  If it pops up on cable again, or if you like renting DVD's, give "Juno" a shot.