Wednesday, July 7, 2010

About the Cover

As you might have noticed, I've been changing the blog header at the beginning of every month.

I woke up Wednesday, the last day of June, and realized that I didn't have a new header ready to go for July.  I thought about it for a moment.  I wanted something visually interesting, and appropriate for this time of year.  I then remembered about gatherings at the monument to the Battle of Wyoming that take place every year around Independence Day.

The challenge of what to photograph was solved.  Now, I had to figure out how to do it.  I arrived here a little before 8:00 AM Wednesday.   The monument is in a beautiful setting, a well maintained park, along Route 11.  The surrounding trees add to the beauty, but there was no way I could get the entire monument in sunshine during my time frame.  Luckily, I remembered to grab my tripod.  I played with camera adjustments and framing for a while, until I got something that worked.

There was a story on digital and camera phone photo tips in USA Today last week.  The entire column dealt with fixing your photos electronically.   I will admit that I'm not the best at this, but solve your problems before they start.  Watch your lighting and framing.  Take your time, and a tripod certainly helps.



View Larger Map
The photo was taken with Susquehanna Avenue at my back, and Wyoming Avenue/Route 11 off to my right.

Enjoy the rest of July!