Friday, July 2, 2010

Do the Math

I have to admit I'm surprised.

I expected the state budget impasse to last into the new fiscal year, which began yesterday morning.

I expected the proposed agreement, reached earlier this week, to fall apart.

Then, I thought about it a little more.

It's an election year.  General Assembly members, looking to keep their seats aboard the gravy train, don't want another budget debacle to be fresh in the minds of voters.

Governor Ed Rendell is out of there in mid January.  Dan Onorato or Tom Corbett will have to live with this.

So will you and I.

It's a tough call.  Some key projects will get less money.  On the other hand, government has to live within its means.  The tax burden has been crushing.

I'm always reminded of my favorite Hubert Humphrey quote at times like this:  "It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped."

I don't think we're doing a very good job.

>>> UPDATE:  I might have spoken too soon.  Governor Rendell is threatening to veto the proposed budget due to some problems with "companion legislation."  We'll see what happens after the long holiday weekend.