Friday, July 30, 2010

This Week and The View

There's a big change in network Sunday morning television in two days, when Christiane Amanpour takes over "This Week" on ABC.

Since David Brinkley started the broadcast in 1981, the focus of "This Week" has been Washington.  ABC promises Amanpour will bring more of an international perspective to the table.

Here's what concerns me.  International news on TV has always been a tough sell.  Viewers don't like it.  They don't understand it.  "This Week" will succeed if Amanpour can help explain why that international news is important and what it all means.

ABC management promises Washington news will not be neglected.

Amanpour clearly knows her way around.  She's reported from Europe for CNN, for a very long time.  At least Amanpour knows where Wilkes-Barre is.  She parachuted in to town, briefly, during the Larry and Leona Cottam trial in 1989.  The Cottams were found guilty of third degree murder for allowing their 14 year old son to starve to death.

I forgot who said it first, but television news should be a combination of what people WANT to know and what people NEED to know.  You need to know what's going on in your world.  Let's hope the new "This Week" can deliver the news in a way we can all understand it, without talking down to us.

"This Week" with Christiane Amanpour, Sundays at 10 AM, on WNEP.

I'm off this weekend, and I'm not sure I'll be around a television, but I'll make sure to record the broadcast to let you know what I think.
There are a lot of people grumbling over President Obama's apperance on "The View."  I have to level with you.  I can't stand "The View."  You also have to realize that I am not in the show's target demographic.  In other words, "The View" isn't designed with me in mind, and I don't think they care.

Having said that, what's the problem here?  The president appeared on a loose, non Washington talk show.  Big deal.    Since when is it beneath a president to converse with five women on a couch?  Granted, it was an unusual forum and one that is lighter in tone than the traditional forums.  It's not like he participated in zany "Saturday Night Live" skits.

They asked questions on "The View."  He answered.  Move on.