Friday, October 1, 2010

About the Cover

One of the glories of northeastern and central Pennsylvania is you never run out of interesting buildings to photograph.

Sorry if you're tired of reading about it and seeing the photographs, but this is another in the series of steeples, spires and clock towers that I've been shooting.

It's the Smurfit Arts Center, at Madison and Vine, owned by the University of Scranton.  A Google search reveals it was built in 1897 as the home of the John Raymond Memorial Universalist Church.  The U bought the building 23 years ago for $125,000 after the church's congregation dropped to less than a dozen members.  The building is used for the University's Art and Music History program.  It was the offices for the University of Scranton Press before that function was closed by the U.

The building towers above Madison Avenue, just a block off Mulberry Street, and it has to be one of the most interesting in the city.

I've got to level with you.  I was in a hurry when I shot this a few weeks ago.  I tried my best to maneuver around the utility lines.  There was probably a better angle and at a better distance, but I didn't have the time to find it.  I'll be back.