Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tonic for Losers

I never expected the Pittsburgh Steelers to make it all the way to the Super Bowl this year.  Their success, in spite of several on and off the field problems was nothing short of amazing.

Still, it hurts when you lose the big one.

So, what have I been doing the past few days?  How have I been coping?

I've been avoiding football altogether.  No sports talk radio.  No "Pardon the Interruption," the only watchable show on ESPN.  The MLB Network has replaced the NFL Network.  I cannot view or listen to anything where Sunday evening's game is discussed.

I will say this much.  Former Dallas head coach Jimmy Johnson had it right when he said the team that wins is the one that makes the fewest bad plays, not the team that makes the most good plays.  Pittsburgh made a lot of bad plays Sunday night. I didn't see the game, but that's what I read-- the small bit I can stomach.

It will take a while for the sting to go away.

At least the Puppy Bowl was outstanding.