Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Week One

It's been a little more than a week since I signed on to Twitter.

Before I get into today's blog, I have to tell you to relax.  I won't bore you with regular Twitter updates here.

I am flattered that a lot of people have decided to "follow" me, and I thank you for that.  The elusive Trish Hartman signed on yesterday.  I was beginning to worry about her.   Leckey "followed" early, and that's a major coup.

Here's what I've learned in the last week.  Twitter has not turned out to be the newsy and informational bonanza I'd hoped for.  An occasional nugget drops in, and it is nice to hear from some friends.

PennDOT, not surprisingly, is disappointing.  It ships out Tweets like "Make sure you remove snow from your car." and "If your wipers are on, your headlights should be on.  It's the law."  Gee.  Thanks.  It makes no mention of the tractor trailers that continue to spew snow over freshly cleaned highways.  PennDOT's 511PA Tweets are much more informative.

One of the local newspapers, last week, sent out a Tweet that the Shenandoah Police corruption trial had gone to the jury.   It had been on TV three hours earlier.

A newspaper also Tweeted "breaking news" that Will Ferrel is going to guest star on "The Office."  Thank you for that.  I didn't think it was possible to make "The Office" any un-funnier than it already is.

PPL appears to be the best of the bunch.  The advisories are timely and the information is actually useful.

To be fair, I haven't written anything that was worth Tweeting home about.

While hitting the "deactivate my account" line is extremely tempting, I'm reminded of something Bluto told the freshmen in one of the opening scenes of "Animal House."  "Grab a brew.  Don't cost nothin.'"  Twitter is free, and it's worth every penny.