Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oh Captain! My Captain!

There's been internet speculation lately that Quaker Oats is going to kill Cap'n Crunch.

Say it isn't so!

There are complaints the cereal is too sweet and is lacking in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.

I'm not a parent.  Would I want my kid eating Cap'n Crunch every day?  No.  On the other hand, some breakfast is better than none, and I know a lot of kids miss breakfast, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

A big bowl of Cap'n Crunch is tolerable if you pair it with something really healthy, or if you don't depend on it as your sole source of morning nutrition.  I quote the great Julia Child at times like this:  "Everything in moderation."

I bought a box of Cap'n Crunch the other morning.  I can't remember the last time I sat down and had a bowl of cereal.  I don't like milk.  My cereal consumption comes by the handful.  I bought the box because I thought the Captain, first name "Horatio," needed a little support, a salute from my little corner of the world.  Cap'n Crunch, I'm on your side.

Quaker Oats denies Can'n Crunch will be discontinued.  A spokesman for the company gave the standard "We're part of a balanced breakfast" line.  I'm okay with that.

Could Quaker Oats tweak the Crunch formula, make it less sweet, throw in some more stuff that's good for you?  Sure.  We live in the greatest country in the world.  A reformulated Cap'n Crunch is better than none at all, and I don't want to be part of a society that shuns The Captain.