Thursday, March 10, 2011

Public

Public broadcasting has been in the news a lot lately.  Let's dissect some of the issues, and we'll begin with radio.

I have absolutely nothing to say about the local public radio station.  Some co-workers love it.  I tried to listen.  It doesn't work for me.  That doesn't make it bad.  It's just not my thing.

NPR came under fire a few months ago when commentator Juan Williams was let go for saying something stupid.  Williams is conservative.    There's a perception that NPR is liberal, and controversy erupted.

Controversy flared anew when an NPR executive said the Tea Party is racist.  The comment was made in a hidden camera video.  I'm not going to debate the merits of "hidden camera" because I don't know all the facts.  The "racist" comment was inappropriate.  That's an awful tag to hang on a group, unless you have concrete evidence.

That brings us to congressional funding of public TV and radio.  Yes, they do provide a public service.  Are there other priorities?  Yes to that as well.

Our local public TV station has two digital sub channels that I watch more than the main channel.  Lately, the programming I like has disappeared in favor of an endless stream of self help broadcasts and pledge drives.  WVIA, you've lost a viewer.

Tough times mean creative measures.  It is possible to have some semblance of regular programming and pledge drives at the same time.   You can do it.  It might even get me to open my wallet.

WVIA management has been getting roasted on a local broadcast internet message board.  The topic-- allegedly excessive salary and perks.  I don't know enough to comment on the topic intelligently, so I won't.

I have a few friends who work in public broadcasting.  They're good people who do a fine job.  No, they're not in management.

WVIA is like any other charity.  If you give money, you have to have faith it's going to the right places.