Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Scrapple

A little late, but is there anything more tired than an April Fool's joke?

Also a little late, but the person behind the Bronx Zoo Cobra Tweets is a comedic genius.

There's an old Italian saying:  "April borrows a week from March."  I hope that week is over.

I can get a free cell phone if I extend my contract two years.  The offer has been on the table for a few weeks, and I still haven't pulled the trigger.  I have no interest in a smart phone, and I can't find a regular phone that's better than what I have now.

Marywood University and the University of Scranton share a channel on my cable system.  Programming coming from these institutions?  Almost zero!  Why are they wasting such a wonderful resource?

What's behind America's new fascination with cupcakes?  It reminds me of the Great Toasted Sub Craze of 2005.

The Baltimore Sun recently did a story on how WBAL radio increased its ratings-- by upping the amount of news.  News is expensive, but as WBAL proves, it's worth it.

Published reports say Meredith Vieira will leave NBC's "Today" show in the fall.  Vieira allegedly said she wants out because of the grueling hours, and to spend more time with her husband, who has been battling a variety of health problems.  Every morning anchor, network or local, should remember something Bryant Gumbel said when he left Today.  A reporter asked him about the hours.  Gumbel said he wasn't going to complain because there are a "whole lot of people who get up a lot earlier, for a lot less money."  Gumbel gets it.

Matt Lauer is allegedly leaving "Today" at the end of 2012.  Add him to the list of people I've never understood.

Why doesn't the excess surrounding the "Royal Wedding" bother me?