Monday, April 11, 2011

The Masters

I can't say I'm a fan of The Masters golf tournament.  There are two basic reasons for that.  First, and foremost, they take themselves way too seriously.  Second, The Augusta National people dictate terms of the coverage to CBS, and CBS gladly accepts.

I didn't watch the final round yesterday for the above reasons.  Plus, it was past my bed time.

I did read about it before I got up to come to work.  It was nice to see an unknown, Charl Schwartzel, come out of nowhere to win.  I'm glad Tiger Woods didn't win, and my heart broke for 21 year old Rory McIlroy.

McIlroy was leading going in to the final round.  Yesterday, he collapsed.  McIlroy was eight over par Sunday.  The kid is a heck of a golfer, and I hope he has a long career filled with wins.  It would be awful if he is most remembered for one really bad round of golf at The Masters.