Thursday, May 26, 2011

Netiquette

I often link to other blogs in this space, when I there's something interesting you should see,and it happens quite often.  After all, I can't think of everything.

A blog/web site recently popped up with excerpts from this blog and others in the area.  There was no link back to the originals, and that torqued off a lot of writers.  I received a few e-mails on the topic.  I never pursued the matter.

While "borrowing" without linking is in bad taste, it's not illegal.  The blog is my property.  It, however, is not copyrighted.  The practice of stealing without linking deprived me of some hits.  While I like seeing high hit numbers, it's really no big deal.  As I noted many times in the past, I have more fun writing this than you have reading it.  It gives me a chance to use some muscles that usually sit idle.

Some of my fellow bloggers did complain-- vehemently.  The offending web site has disappeared.

Was the owner using someone else's material to sell ads on his web site to make a few bucks?  It looks that way, but how much could it have been?

Remember the golden rule of blogging.  If you're going to borrow from someone else's blog, be sure to include the link to the original.

And, while I'm discussing the blogs of others, well known Wilkes-Barre blogger Mark Cour has started another.  It's dedicated to the memory of Franklin's Restaurants.  Mark used to manage the one on Kidder Street in Wilkes-Barre.  I was a frequent visitor to the one in Dunmore.

Let me take you back to the early 80's.  I was evening news person on WARM.  My old high school friend, Jerry Padden, worked evenings at KRZ.  Jerry and I would meet up after work, usually around 1 AM.  I'd always have the same thing at Franklin's-- turkey club and fries, no mayonnaise.  We'd grab a booth and talk radio until the wee hours of the morning.  Good times.

Jerry's working at a country station in Allentown.  We swap e-mails once in a while, and I know he reads the blog on occasion.  Jerry, I hope you're doing well.

I miss those turkey clubs.

The Dunmore Franklin's is now a Friendly's, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was there.

And, one other blog related note...  I ran into LuLac Political Letter author David Yonki at a Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees game Tuesday morning.  David produces some of the most original content on politics here in our area.