Thursday, May 5, 2011

Teaching

I'm currently reading a biography of the late Phillies' broadcaster Harry Kalas.  Parts of it are not flattering, and I'll write about that one of these days.

I've read a lot of biographies, and there always seems to be a section on the positive effect a teacher or teachers had on the subject.  Kalas is no exception.  His career was influenced by one exceptional high school teacher and another in college.

Sorry to say, I can't point to any teacher of mine who rose above the crowd.  There were a few I liked, even a couple I respected.  Most were unmotivated space wasters.

One of those in the "good" column came to mind the other day.  I won't use  names because I'm not sure how she'd feel about that.  I dropped her a card and note because of a passing in the family.

Here's what stood out about this college professor.  There were no tests in her class, just a weekly short paper.  At first, it seemed like an easy ride.  When I thought about it a little more, the weekly paper was an effort to get us to think, feel, and write rather than memorize facts.

I didn't fully appreciate it back then.  I do now.  Thank you.