Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer

I watched Ryan Leckey's live reports from Scranton yesterday morning.  They dealt with keeping kids active and occupied during the summer.

After that, I was dispatched to Dickson City to get some video of the first day of the 13th annual summer day camp.

Nothing against the above two events, but I don't ever remember being bored during the summers of my youth.  There was always something to do.

One of my friends was "in" to board games, cards and darts.

There was always a wiffle ball game with the neighborhood kids going on.

We walked to a bowling alley a couple miles away.  We took a bus downtown to visit the Globe, Oppenheim's Kresge's and Woolworth's.

We sat on our porches and listened to the radio.

We were always riding our bikes somewhere.

There was a lot going on.

What's changed?  Why is the youth of America suddenly bored?

Pardon the "geezer" moment, but kids really need to turn off the computer, get out of the house and make friends-- in person.

I didn't have a ton of friends as a kid, but there was a good close circle of pals, and there was never a dull moment.