Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Bridge

I couldn't resist.  When I saw on Newswatch 16 that part of the old 8th Street Bridge collapsed into the Susquehanna River, I just had to see for myself.

Camera in hand, I wandered down Monday morning.  This is the view from east to west.  I'm in Jenkins Township, looking toward Wyoming.

What have we learned here?  Mother Nature and gravity always win.

By the way, I drove over the new bridge for the first time Monday, and wow, what a change from the old.  The span on the left is wider and much safer.  Crossing the Susquehanna here is no longer a white knuckle ride.

I have to note one other thing before signing off today.  Two months after the water receded, there is still a ton of visible damage along the Susquehanna in Jenkins Township, and it's chilling.