Thursday, November 24, 2011

Holiday Creep

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Christmas season begins just before Halloween.  While it might seem earlier every year, it really isn't.

There is something new we now have to endure.  Thanksgiving used to be a day off from the commercial Christmas rush.  Then, Black Friday started at midnight Thanksgiving.  Now, Black Friday starts around 10 Thursday/Thanksgiving night, and that's just plain wrong.

I recognize the need to save money and hit the Black Friday sales.  I also recognize not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. 

It happens a little more every year.  Thanksgiving gets lost in the shuffle, and I fear we're on a slippery slope.  The sales that start Thanksgiving night will move a bit earlier every year.  Thanksgiving is well on its way to becoming just another day. 

Whatever you do today, and no matter how you feel about what I've just written, please take a little time out to give thanks for what you have.