Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

Okay, I was wrong about this one.

Last month, I wrote that Coke's plan to put its flagship brand in white cans for Christmas was genius.  A lot of people collect Coke items, and the cans really stood out on supermarket shelves.  I could see people buying the white cans to drink the contents, and to collect something unusual.  Coke has never appeared in a white can.

Well, things didn't go quite as planned.  Coke is pulling the white cans.  The problem?  Too many people were confusing the white with the silver Diet Coke cans.

I didn't buy the white cans, but I did look at them in stores.  I didn't confuse them for Diet Coke cans, but I can understand how that can happen.

Coke is the top selling soft drink in the USA.  You would have thought Coke understood not to screw with the brand after the "new Coke" debacle of the 80's.   We've now learned it applies to what's inside the can, and what's on the outside.

But then again, conspiracy theorists think this was just a plan by Coke to limit shelf time, and make the white cans even more valuable.

Live, learn, and drink.

By the way, I'm proud that one of my photos has been chosen "header of the week" at www.nepablogs.org.  Thank you.