Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dead of Winter

I didn't realize it had a formal beginning and end time until I read about it on a weather web site.

Welcome to the dead of winter-- the coldest time of the year.  According to Accu-Weather, it begins on January 10 and ends on February 10.

That's a little long for me.  I always considered the dead of winter to be the last two weeks of January.  When we hit February, average highs and lows start creeping up by a degree every couple days.  You notice the days getting longer, and the sun getting a little stronger.

As I've said before, getting a little older has its advantages.  Time really seems to fly by.  I was giving it some thought as I was walking the dog yesterday morning.  When you're a kid, you have goals-- the start of summer vacation, entering a new grade in the fall, getting a driver's license, graduation, voting, legal drinking age...

Once you pass 21, there's really nothing big on the horizon.  My current next big event is a meeting with my accountant to get my taxes done.  It's not the same thrill as getting that driver's license, but a happy time nonetheless.

Getting back to winter, it's been a good one so far.  Little snow.  Above normal temperatures.  You know it can't last.  We'll get whacked with a few storms before spring arrives.  Relax.  There's nothing you can do about it.

The Dead of Winter can't last forever.