Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spirit of '76


I couldn't believe my eyes.  Only in Scranton.

Let me back up a moment.  A photographer and I were sent to Isaac Tripp Elementary Monday morning.  A woman, in traditional garb, was teaching the kids about life during the Civil War.  It would make a cute little story for our newscasts.

On our way to the school, I spotted this faded stop sign at the intersection of Dorothy Street and North Garfield Avenue.  Please, take special note of the "Ed Mitchell for Congress" bumper sticker stuck to the bottom of the sign.  I couldn't resist.  I asked the photographer to pull over so I could snap a picture.

If my Google search is correct, Mitchell ran against Joe McDade in 1976, making this bumper sticker 36 years old!  I don't know where Ed Mitchell purchased his bumper stickers that year, but he really got his money's worth.  It's weathered quite a bit.  The vinyl really held its color, and the adhesive kept the sticker here through heat waves, cold snaps, hurricanes and snow storms.  It's amazing.

Ed Mitchell is now a political consultant, based in the Wilkes-Barre area.  His 1976 campaign against incumbent Joe McDade was not successful.  His bumper sticker, however, was clearly a winner.