Friday, March 16, 2012

Unfinished Business

We'e back on Daylight Saving Time, and I didn't write my usual pre time change rant this year.  Here's the abridged version.  Time changes are an archaic concept, and they should be abolished.

It looks like the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees saga is the never ending story of 2012.  The latest item made me laugh and cry at the same time.  One of the Lackawanna County commissioners is asking the team's management company, Mandalay to "begin building confidence."  Hey, last time I checked, Lackawanna County still owns the team.  Mandalay works for us, not the other way around.  Have we forgotten that?

Former State Senator Bob Mellow was once one of the most powerful people in the state of Pennsylvania.  Now, he's an admitted thief.

Who was minding the store in the Wilkes-Barre Area School District?  The former solicitor, a man civilally accused of stealing thousands, maybe millions of dollars, billed the district more than $ 300,000.  For what?

Those who allowed Mellow and the solicitor to get away with it for so long are just as guilty.

Wow, am I sick of Peyton Manning!  He showed a lot of class in the news conference last week, where he separated from the Indianapolis Colts.  If I ran an NFL team, would I sign him?  No.  It's an easy call.  He's a 36 year old with four neck surgeries, and there's still plenty of recovery time ahead.  I'd rather take my chances drafting a quarterback out of college, and it's a lot less expensive.

I took some new photographs for the blog last week, and I also spent a little time going through the archives.  You'll see all that stuff in the weeks to come.  Also, the 20th anniversary of "The Great Implosion" in Scranton is approaching, and I have a few days of photographs and stories dedicated to that event in the queue.

March Madness is here.  I'll get interested in the NCAA tournament if an underdog team makes it in to the final rounds.  Please, I don't want to hear about your brackets.