Friday, May 18, 2012

Donna Summer

I don't dance, and I've never been in a club of that nature.

I played rock on the radio for four years, and "adult contemporary" songs followed.

Having said all that, there's a lot of disco that wasn't bad, and I was saddened to learn of the death of disco queen Donna Summer.

Growing up in the 70's, there were essentially two camps-- those who liked disco and those who despised it.  I danced on the fence, so to speak.  I didn't run around saying I adored disco, but there were some songs I liked a lot, and many of those came from Donna Summer.

When the history of music is written, I hope Donna Summer gets a big chapter.  She deserves it.

The great George Carlin used to say "your approval curve goes way up after you die."  I realize that, and I'm still surprised at the number of people admitting they're fans.  Liking disco is not a popular thing.

Cause of death:  cancer.  Donna Summer was 63.