Thursday, May 17, 2012

Movie Time


I cannot imagine any scenario that would take me to a theater to see "The Avengers" or "Dark Shadows," but I'm like a lot of people.  I do look at the box numbers every Monday morning, misleading as they may be.

Every Monday, we see the totals, and how much money people spent on admission to the new movies.  For example, "The Avengers" brought in $ 207 million in its opening weekend, and that's a lot of garbage.  I mean the $ 207 million, not the movie.

A movie ticket costs more these days, so you cannot compare, for example, today's "The Avengers" with 1984's "Ghostbusters," which brought in $ 13.6 million in its opening weekend.

Why can't the movies be like baseball?  Count the number of tickets sold, rather than the box office take.  It would be much more accurate, much more fair, and a truer judge of a movie's popularity.