Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Smile!

I don't know if it made the air, but someone called Talkback over the weekend to complain I don't smile enough.

Well, maybe.

At times like this, I'm reminded of something the late, great CBS journalist Eric Sevareid once said.  Sevareid remarked he could never smile for a "gadget," meaning a television camera.

It's not an oral thing.  I have a great dentist who keeps my teeth in top shape.

I do have a nice sense of humor.  I enjoy a good laugh.  People who know me understand that I take my job seriously, but I don't take myself seriously.

I'm simply not a smiler.

If I appeared on the air as Guy Smiley one morning, it would be fake-- an act, and the audience would see right through it.  There are too many of those types already on the air.

I am what I am, and what I am is not a smiler.

Being honest, and true to who I am brings a smile to my face.