Friday, June 1, 2012

About the Cover: Audubon School



I'd planned on using a tight shot of the spires above Audubon Elementary in Scranton for this month's blog header.  It was an okay photo when I transferred it from my camera to my computer.

To get you up to speed, Audubon was built in 1910.  It's leaky and moldy.  The Scranton school board decided it would be better to close the school for good, and split the 225 students among three other elementary schools.

It's a beautiful building, at least from the outside, and I hate to see another neighborhood school close. However, there are economic realities.

Anyway, I was playing around with a tight shot of the stone carvings above the doors on the Mulberry Street side( top photo) , and I decided the little man reading the book would make a more interesting header, so here it is.

It is one of the things I love about photography.  You go to a location expecting one thing, and you wind up leaving with something totally different.

Have a great June.