Monday, June 11, 2012

Welcome to Buffalo

About ten years ago, perhaps a couple more, I visited a friend in Buffalo, NY.  I bet you've never encountered anyone who vacationed in Buffalo, but here I am.

It was in the middle of summer, and every highway, and every major road in and around the city was under construction.

I asked my friend about that, and he replied that Buffalo is an old city with an old infrastructure.  Winters are long, so construction crews have to pack as much work as they can into every summer.

By the way, I should note that summers in Buffalo are actually very nice, and western NY isn't a bad place to spend some time.

I had a Buffalo flashback while driving on Interstate 81 in Dickson City construction zone the other morning.  It was two lanes, but it was tight.  The exit ramp deceleration lane has been temporarily removed.  It's a white knuckle ride.

NEPA has become Buffalo.  Our winters, especially the last one, are a bit more mild, but we have the same infrastructure issues.  Too much is falling apart, too fast.

There are no easy answers, and there are no inexpensive answers.

Get used to being the Buffalo of Pennsylvania.