Tuesday, July 10, 2012

All Stars

I really used to look forward to the Major League Baseball All Star Game.

Other than the World Series and pre season games, it was the only chance to see players from both leagues mix it up.  It was an opportunity to see some western stars, who we rarely saw here in the east.

Well, times have changed.  Interleague play, and a dozen cable channels have taken away what made the All Star Game special.  If I'm up tonight, I'll watch, but I won't go out of my way.

Be that as it may, here are a few thoughts as the season hits its half way point...

It's nice to see the Orioles, Pirates, and Nationals doing well.

It's sad to see baseball still hasn't fixed the Oakland relocation problem.  No one goes to Oakland games, and it looks even worse on TV because the team plays in a cavernous football stadium.  The Bay Area cannot support two teams, especially when one plays in a bad stadium.

I'm still seeing a lot of empty seats when I watch highlights on TV.

I'll agree with Joe Buck.  In a YES Network interview, he said he wasn't thrilled with the expanded playoff system, but he wants to see how the first year goes before forming a solid opinion.

ESPN's Chris Berman poisons everything he touches.