Monday, July 16, 2012

The Newsroom

We started last week with a review, and we'll start this week with a review.

Because I'm in the biz, a lot of people have been asking me about the new HBO series "The Newsroom," which has already been renewed for a second season.

To get you up to speed, "The Newsroom" is the story of a prime time newscast on a cable network called ACN.  Four episodes have aired so far.

It's not working for me.  The characters seem to have met at a cliche festival.  There's the big anchor, who decides he's tired of pandering for ratings.  The new executive producer is a highly acclaimed journalist, who spent tons of time in Iraq and Afghanistan.  She brings with her a young and exceptionally talented producer.  The news division is run by a wise, older man who wears a bow tie, and he fights with the mom and son who own the network.  The network has a hold over producer, who resents the new crew, and there's the sweet, young, overwhelmed assistant.

Romantic entanglements?  Yes, we have those.  The new producer is smitten with the assistant, who dates the hold over producer.  The anchor and the new executive producer have a history.

Other reviews have said "The Newsroom" is overly preachy, and I agree.  Characters here make a lot of speeches, and real people don't talk that way.

I have to say I'm envious of the newsroom and the set.  The producers of "The Newsroom" appear to have spent some serious money here.

The third episode is the best of the young run, so I hope that means the series is improving.  I have yet to see the fourth.

I'm watching it, but I'm not loving it.