Friday, August 24, 2012

My Favorite

It's the nature of the TV news business.  There are some stories we do at the same time every year.  I have to level with you.  Some are just pure tedium.  There are exceptions to the rule, and one is taking place this weekend.

It's "move in weekend" at colleges and universities all across our area.  You've seen it before.  Parents drop off their college freshmen at their new dorms.  Upper classmen help lug the furniture, clothes, and other belongings to the dorm rooms.

I love that story.  It has just abut every emotion imaginable.  The kids are anxious and nervous.  The parents are nervous as well, but happy their children are taking a big step toward adulthood.  The kids put on a brave front.  They look forward to the independence, but you can see the fear in their eyes when mom and dad drive away.

The upperclassmen do the heavy moving and lifting, but you can see they're happy because they've moved up a year and are that much closer to graduation.

It's a great atmosphere.

I'm tied to a desk on weekends, so I haven't had a chance to do the "move in" story in many years, and I miss it.  TV news is about facts, but it's also about people, and there are few better "people" stories than "move in day."

I wish I had a "move in" story of my own, but alas, I do not.  In fact, I lived closer to my college than I did to my high school.  My criteria for choosing a college consisted of two words:  close and affordable.  As many of you know, I went to Marywood.  The 'Wood and I have warred in this space in years past, but I will admit that I received a solid education there.

To all the college freshmen, enjoy the experience and savor every second of it.  Your college days will fly by.