Monday, September 17, 2012

Looks Like We Made It


I thought I'd try it again.

Regular blog readers know I stopped by White Castle in Allentown last month, only to find it closed due to a power problem.

As my vacation was wrapping up last week, I decided to give it another try.

My heart sank when I drove in to the parking lot Thursday morning.  No cars.  A utility truck in the parking lot.  Jeez O' Pete, not another power problem!!!

I was lucky.  It was business as usual.  The utility truck was working on the traffic signals, just outside the parking lot.

I walked in and looked at the menu board.
Apologies for the quality of the picture above.  It's from a camera phone.  I wasn't wearing my glasses and I couldn't see what I was shooting.

I'll give White Castle credit for a blessedly simple menu.  Wendy's, McDonald's and Burger King are far too cluttered.

I chose a combo meal of four sliders, an order of fries, and a medium soda.  I ordered a side of onion rings.

This is what I received.
Yes, it's another camera phone photo.

Let's start at the right.  The onion rings are those beauties comprised of chopped up bits of onion, formed into a ring, a la Burger King.  They come with a container of zingy dipping sauce, which is in the middle of the napkin.  The sauce wasn't bad.  The rings were weak, and I'm being kind.

The fries are of the crinkle cut variety and are mediocre, at best.

Not in the photo is my Diet Coke, which tasted watered down and heavily iced.

Now, the burgers.  White Castle steams its burgers and buns over a bed of reconstituted onions.  I like my burgers with a fried or broiled taste.  Steaming does nothing for the flavor of the meat.  While the onions weren't strong, they clearly overpowered the flavor of the beef.

I will say the service was good and the cashier was very patient with this newbie.  Prices were fair.

I won't say White Castle is bad, but it clearly doesn't live up to the hype.  Not even close.

I might stop by again the next time I'm in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I found White Castle not worth a trip out of your way.

Sorry, Harold and Kumar.