Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mid Life Crisis

Some men buy boats when they reach their mid life crisis.  Others purchase Corvettes and chase college girls.

Me?  I bought a bicycle.

Let me back up a moment.  I've been considering it for a while, at least a couple years.  I looked in stores.  I looked at used bikes on-line.  I could never pull the trigger.  A big box sporting goods chain would have had a sale if it had attentive employees.

I started to add it up.  I'm tired all the time.  A recent kitchen remodeling project meant reliance on far too much fast food.  I need the exercise.  I talked it over with friends and co-workers.  They all suggested I get over my fears and buy a bike.

I stopped in a bike shop on a recent afternoon.  I told the salesman I didn't want to go hard core.  I just want something to pedal around the neighborhood for fifteen minutes in the morning.  He suggested a model. I gave it a look and got some instructions.

It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I remembered the words of Larry King:  "Always go top shelf.  You'll pay more in the beginning, but it's worth it in the long run."

Done.

On the way home, I stopped for a burger and fries.  Big mistake.  More later.  You can guess where the story is going.

I arrived home, took the bike out of the back of my SUV, adjusted the seat, and went for a ride.

Too much, too soon.  I flew out of the driveway and through the neighborhood like Lance Armstrong.  I attempted far more than I should have in the afternoon sun, heat, and humidity.  I hadn't been on a bike since I learned to drive a car, and that was a very, very long time ago.  I'm not a kid any more.

My head was in the toilet soon after arriving home from the bike ride.  I lost my lunch.

The next trip, the next day, was much better.  Each subsequent trip has been a little smoother, and a lot more fun.

Wish me luck in the second half of my life.

I should have bought the Corvette.