Sunday, February 10, 2013

Classic Bad Photography Sunday: Above Baltimore

I have two more old Baltimore photographs to share today...

Both of today's photographs were taken from the 27th floor of the World Trade Center at the Inner Harbor in May of 1987.

Above is the National Aquarium-- one of the buildings that started the whole Inner Harbor redevelopment.  You can't visit Baltimore without stopping by.  It's great fun, highly entertaining, and you'll learn a lot.

Above is another view from the World Trade Center, looking to the northeast.  That thing that looks like a smoke stack in the center is actually the "Shot Tower."    It was built in 1828.  They used to drop molten lead from the top.  It landed in a vat of water at the bottom.  Voila!  You have ammunition.

As I noted yesterday, I'd make a few trips to Baltimore every year in the 80's and 90's.  I loved it, so why did I stop?

It's tough to explain.  It got too "touristy."  Baltimore lost things that made it unique, and it developed a lot of attractions you can find in every city, like the Hard Rock Cafe.  The Inner Harbor exploded and overdeveloped.  Parking became a bear.  The suburban town where I used to stay became very urban, and I didn't like the changes.

Here's the capper.  I was in Baltimore on 9/11.  I went back the next year, as I always take some vacation time in September.  It just didn't feel right, and I never returned.